Hampton Court Palace
The hotel's famous neighbour is Hampton Court Palace. Dating back to the Sixteenth Century, work began on the original palace for Cardinal Wolsey, before King Henry VIII seized the palace for himself. Along with St James's Palace in Central London, it is one of only two surviving palaces owned and used by Henry VIII. In the following century, Sir Christopher Wren drew up plans for the impressive extension. Work however ceased in 1694, leaving the palace in two distinct contrasting architectural styles, domestic Tudor and Baroque. The palace was opened to the public following restoration work in 1838, and the site is also home to the annual Hampton Court Palace Festival and the world famous Hampton Court Flower Show. Apart from the Palace itself and its extensive gardens, other points of interest for visitors include the celebrated maze originally planted in the 1690s, and the Cumberland Art Gallery.